(Video Alert) 10 Things, Navy Yard Shooter Video and The latest on the Nairobi Mall update!!!
9/26/2013 6:26:00 AM
10 Things to Know for Today: Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about today:
1. IN MINNESOTA, A `DEADLY PIPELINE' TO TERROR NETWORK...The state is home to one of the largest Somali communities outside Somalia, and alienated young men there are vulnerable to recruitment by al-Shabab.
2. OBAMACARE STILL ON TRACK...A partial government shutdown next week would still leave the major parts of the health care law in place and rolling along.
3. IRAN SIGNALS IT WANTS TO TALK...A deal to resolve international concerns about the nation's nuclear program would likely result in the easing of crippling economic sanctions.
4. NEW ALLIANCE BOOSTS ASSAD'S CLAIM THAT HE'S BATTLING EXTREMISTS...Nearly a dozen rebel factions, including one linked to al-Qaida, renounce any ties to the main Western-backed opposition group - and call for Islamic law.
5. WHO'S HOLDING HIS NOSE - AND ROLLING UP HIS SLEEVES...The new mayor is the latest to try to deodorize Mexico City, which outgrew its sewage system decades ago.
6. COST OF A LETTER COULD GO UP... The U.S. Postal Service wants to raise the price of a first-class stamp by 3 cents, to 49 cents.
7. WHICH EX-HEAD OF STATE HELPED OUT AT GAY WEDDING...George H.W. Bush served as an official witness at the same-sex union of two longtime female friends in Maine.
8. CLICK HERE FOR HELP...Amazon's new Kindle tablets come with a feature called "Mayday," which allows users to summon a live customer service rep in a tiny video window.
9. WHAT'S DIFFERENT ABOUT THE $100 BILL...The new high-tech note includes colors that change when the bill is turned, one of several features meant to thwart counterfeiters.
10. YANKEES' SEASON WRAPPING UP EARLY...New York loses 8-3 to Tampa Bay and is eliminated from baseball's postseason for just the second time in 19 years.
IN THE NEWS:
In Nairobi, Security Tight As Mourning Continues
Security was visibly tighter on Thursday morning as residents of Nairobi tried to return to their normal lives after the gunmen attacked the Westgate mall killing at least 61 civilians and six members of the security forces. (Sept. 26)
Deadline Approaches for Possible Gov't Shutdown
The countdown clock is ticking toward a possible government shutdown at the end of the month. The Senate is working on its version of a spending bill to avoid it. (Sept. 26)
FBI Releases Video, Images of Navy Yard Shooter
The FBI says there is no indication that the Navy Yard shooter targeted any specific individuals when he opened fire inside a building, killing 12 people. Investigators are continuing to explore the background and motivations. (Sept. 25)