Mark and Charlie's Blog
P.Wm. prosecutors say they won’t use, seek explicit photos in Manassas City ‘sexting’ case
Prince William County prosecutors said Tuesday they will not use photos taken of a 17-year-old Manassas City teen after his arrest for “sexting” last month, and they will allow a second search warrant for photos of the teen’s genitals to expire without serving it, according to the teen’s lawyers. The teen is still set for trial next month on felony charges of distributing and manufacturing child pornography, allegedly sexually explicit video of himself that he reportedly sent to his 15-year-old girlfriend.
The hearing was closed to the public by substitute Juvenile Court Judge H. Jan Roltsch-Anoll despite Virginia law which says that hearings involving a juvenile charged with “an offense which would be a felony if committed by an adult shall be open.” The law also says a juvenile “shall have the right to a public hearing unless expressly waived by such person,” but the issue was not argued before Roltsch-Anoll, who told a deputy to keep reporters outside, according to the teen’s guardian, Stacy Bigley. Roltsch-Anoll is the Prince William County Bar Association’s top candidate for a permanent opening on the juvenile and domestic relations bench. The bar’s second choice is Assistant Commonwealth’s Attorney Claiborne Richardson II, the prosecutor in the sexting case, who left the courtroom immediately after the closed hearing and could not be contacted for comment.