Austin Local News
SXSW Street Closures
It's that time again: South by Southwest is underway and for the next two weeks, traffic could get even more nightmarish than usual. There will be numerous street closures you'll need to be aware of, including:
- 6th Street from Congress Avenue to Interstate 35.
- Brazos Street from 5th to 7th streets.
- Red River Street from 5th to 10th streets.
- Sabine Street from 5th to 7th streets.
- Trinity Street from 5th to 6th streets and from 4th to Cesar Chavez streets.
- San Jacinto Boulevard from 5th to 6th streets.
- Rainey Street from Driskill to Cummings streets.
Austin police will also be patrolling areas looking for chokepoints and could add to this list before the festival wraps up.
As many as 400,000 people will be in town, both for SXSW and spring break, and many of them actually won't be driving a car, but will instead be on foot. APD is asking anyone who will be driving to keep an eagle eye on pedestrians because many of them won't be paying attention.
APD is also asking that you use your best judgement when coming upon red lights, or lights that are about to change to red. Police will be looking for drivers who are sticking out in the intersections, or as the city calls it, "blocking the box."