APD Provides Update on September Officer-Involved Shooting


The Austin Police Department continues to investigate the officer-involved shooting that occurred Friday, September 23, 2022.

According to reports, at approximately 9:19 a.m., APD received a 9-1-1 call of a disturbance between a man and a woman regarding child custody in the 6100 block Fairway St.  Officers were dispatched to the home and were advised that the woman calling 9-1-1 claimed a man had a gun in his pocket, and previously brandished it.

It was also initially believed that children were being held hostage by the man, who was later identified as Antonio Gonzales.

Upon the officer’s arrival, Gonzales did not have the children in his custody.

Reports say Gonzales got out of a vehicle and began walking around in the middle of Brassie St. while armed with a handgun. He placed the gun against his head and then later into his waistband. Despite repeated verbal attempts by officers to de-escalate the situation, Gonzales refused to comply with several commands.  Gonzales also said he was going to kill himself several times, police said.

A SWAT team was then called to the scene and soon after a crisis negotiator.  For approximately two hours, officers communicated with Gonzales through both a loudspeaker and a cell phone.  When that proved unsuccessful, officers deployed the use of “less-lethal” munitions and tasers, at which time Gonzales tried to pull the gun from his waistband.  A SWAT officer then fired and Gonzales fell to the ground.

Gonzales was pronounced deceased on scene.

The woman who originally called 9-1-1 and the children were unharmed.  No other injuries were reported.

This incident was captured on body-worn camera and other video sources. The SWAT officer that discharged his duty firearm has six years of service; the officer that deployed the less-lethal munition has 7 years of service, and the two officers who deployed the Tasers have 20 and 15 years of service with the Austin Police Department, respectively.

Per APD protocol, the four officers have been placed on administrative leave.

Share this Posts

Related Posts