Austin Local News
Major Weekend Traffic Shift Planned for I-35
- Northbound I-35 mainlanes will be reduced to two lanes and will be shifted west
- The entrance ramp north of US 290 East will be closed
- The northbound I-35 to northbound US 183 flyover will be closed
- The exit ramp north of US 183 will be closed
- Southbound I-35 mainlanes will be reduced to two lanes between Rundberg and US 290 East
- The entrance ramp south of Rundberg Lane will be closed
- The southbound US 183 to southbound I-35 flyover will be closed
The Texas Department of Transportation will implement a major traffic shift on the I-35 mainlanes between Rundberg Lane and US 290 East in order to demolish the remaining half of the north to southbound U-turn bridge near St. Johns Avenue and set large steel beams for the new southbound I-35 to southbound US 183 flyover north of US 183.
Beginning Friday, July 12, at 9 p.m. until Monday, July 15, at 5 a.m., traffic on I-35 will be reduced to two lanes in each direction and shifted west. New striping and barriers will guide traffic through the shift. This is a similar traffic shift to the one implemented on the southbound lanes of I-35 in early June.
Drivers are encouraged to seek alternate routes, as major delays are expected while traffic is reduced to two lanes in each direction and shifted west to the southbound side of I-35.
Road signs have been placed to alert drivers of the upcoming closures.
Also this weekend, the Central Texas Regional Mobility Authority will shift all northbound US 183 traffic onto a new bridge over the Colorado River to accommodate demolition and reconstruction of the existing northbound bridge. The work will require a long-term closure of the northbound exit to Airport Boulevard, 7th Street, 5th Street, and East Cesar Chavez Street. Northbound US 183 drivers wishing to reach those roads will continue north on US 183 to a U-turn located near Bolm Road.