Austin Local News
Second Fox Tests Positive for Rabies
A second fox has tested positive for rabies in the Pace Bend area. According to officials in the Animal Services Office, the animal was found dead in an empty lot and has had no known contact with humans or domestic animals.
It's the second time this month a fox in that area has tested positive. On August 3, Animal Protection Officers responded to a call on Pace Bend Roadafter a woman was bitten on the foot by a fox who entered her home. A family member of the victim killed the fox in order to stop the attack.
- Animal Services offers the following tips to protect pets and family from exposure to wild animals:
- Vaccinate your dogs and cats as well as livestock.
- Restrain your pets. Do not allow them to roam freely in public.
- Avoid contact with wild animals and unknown dogs and cats.
- Do not touch sick or injured animals.
If your pet is bitten, scratched, or gets into a fight with any animal, officials say you should call 311 or 512-974-5000.