Austin's Top News
4-alarm blaze in South Austin
Austin Fire Department report the Mission James Place apartment complex fire was accidentally started by one improperly discarded cigarette.
It caused the destruction of 24 units ousting over 30 residents and costing over a million dollars in damage. Investigators said the fire started on a second floor balcony and spread quickly to an attic. The Ann Richards School was a temporary shelter for some of the displaced residents. Investigators added some may be allowed back in today to survey the damage to their units, depending on the stability of what's left of the structure.
It took over 100 Firefighters, but the blaze has finally been contained, soon to be under control.
According to AFD they are still fighting the 4-alarm blaze, 24 apts were affected and close to 50 people have been displaced. The fire started by accident due to improperly discarded smoking material, which AFD says is one of the most leading causes of fire's in Austin. Multiple agencies, including Westlake Fire Deptartment joined in to help fight the blaze. No injuries have been reported at this time.
Austin Firefighters are battling a 4-alarm blaze at an apartment complex in South Austin. The James Place apartments on Victory Drive near Ben White and Lamar has spread to two floors and an attic. It started just after 2:30. The Ann Richards School which is adjacent to the complex is on reverse evacuation.